ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) is a replacement recovery option for Android devices, made by Koushik "Koush" Dutta. It is based on the Android 2.1 (Eclair) recovery image. Features include Nandroid backup, adb shell, advanced update.zip options (ignore asserts and signature checks), and file browser for choosing update.zips
If you are using Xperia Arc S or any Xperia devices (rooted) you can install an app called X-Parts which is available for free in Play Store to install and set up CWM Recovery.
To install X-Parts, open play store app and search for "X-Parts". Once you find the app, install it.
Setting Up CWM using X-Parts in Xperia Devices (Must be Rooted).
- Go to application drawer (menu) and open X-Parts App.
- In the app screen, click "Install" tab.
- Tap "Install CWM". You must be connected to internet while performing this operation because X-Parts communicate with its server for a compatible version of CWM for your device. Binaries are directly downloaded and patched by the app.
- It may take a while depending on the speed of your mobile internet or Wifi.
- Switch off your device.
- Power on the device in the mean time repeatedly press back button or volume down button in your device.
- If everything was done properly, you will see a black screen saying CWM-based Recovery vX.X.X
Feel free to comment if you have questions.